Saturday, June 25, 2011

Wire Fencing Chandeliers


     Oh, the possibilities!  Most people think it's the obvious garden border, but it is not!  It is the makings of the base for my shabby chandeliers!
     I've got so much fencing, it is not even funny and with the season on, this is something I should have done a month or so ago.  I keep picking fencing up at garage sales by the truck load.  I do prefer the white but I'll take the green, too.
     So, today, I decided to work on my tetanus status (note to self, need shot!)
     I know you've all seen the Country Living version and that was the source of my inspiration, but with my own twist.  This is what I ended up with.............
     This one looks a lot like the CL version, except they used the old antique fencing with a heavier gauge.  I definitely recommend using the newer fencing for a first timer to get the feel of working with wire.  I use a needle nose, some kind of wire cutter and a heavier talking-to pliers.  My technical words, of course.
     I've got buckets of chain for any just-in-case moment.  Garage sales, of course.  Out here in the boonies, people will sell and apparently buy anything.  This all keeps my profits high, thankfully.
     While I should mention the obvious safety precautions, I don't practice them.  You are dealing with rusty crap that their dog has probably peed on not to mention the rust-factor altogether.  When cutting, pieces can go flying, hopefully not in the eye direction.  Also, gloves are good at keep blood blisters at bay.  Since I am more of a do-as-I-say-and-not-as-I-do kind of gal, go nuts at your own risk.


     This version has a ton of ideas attached to it.  Any old plate can become a candle holder, watering hole or bird feeder.  It doesn't have to be a plate.  See next pic.......
     I've had this metal checker board hanging out for over a year so I used it as a colorful platform.  Try using a silver platter.  You don't have to put holes in it, just bend the wires to nestle it in.  
      I always use stuff I have and try to keep it in the same patina but sometimes I have to improvise (cheat)  and use newer links and hardware.
     This one, I got a little creative and made it a three-tiered.  I have a similar one at home that holds my chipped tea cup collection.  I've kept it out year-round and haven't lost one yet.

        So, I had some antique fencing that I wanted to try out now that I feel I've gotten the hand of the lighter gauge.  Ta-da!!




     (Please forgive the pictures.  I know it is hard to see with a busy background.)
     I'm working on a ridiculously huge one as a permanent piece for the shop.  I've got my hands on some 4' antiques fencing.  I'll keep you posted.

3 comments:

  1. I'm loving how you made it your own! Great job! Love the checker board! The possibilities are endless. I don't have garden fencing, but I have a ton (literally) of cattle fencing....you've got me thinking now...Thanks!
    Can't wait to see the one you made for the shop!
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bethanie, I love that chandelier! You have the best luck at garage sales, you always find supplies, I have yet to find paint or any other such at a garage sale...oh well...I'll live vicariously through you when I'm paying full price at lowe's
    Karajeanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your awesome ideas. Can't wait to cut up the roll of fencing that's been hanging out in my laundry room for years.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please tell me what you think!
-Bethanie